Performance Monitor Youngstock
Last autumn FarmVets SouthWest launched the Performance Monitor Youngstock.
This is a very useful management tool to improve the performance of your replacement heifers (beef as well as dairy), and bring them to profit as soon as possible. The farms that have joined our scheme are doing really well and their initial results are very promising. The scheme helps farmers to ensure their newborn heifers achieve the best possible start, and then monitors growth and performance.
Results are then analysed and where necessary changes in youngstock management will be implemented.
- Colostrum intake for every calf will be monitored by blood analysis
- Weight gains for every calf will be monitored
- Disease occurrence will be monitored
- Heifer fertility will be monitored
- Your farm will get a specific youngstock action plan